Imagine installing a camera system, only to find that it fails during a torrential downpour, leaves you with grainy night-time images, or worse still, drains its batteries faster than you can replace them.
Such pitfalls not only leave your flock vulnerable to nocturnal predators and health issues but also result in wasted time and resources for you, the coop keeper.
That’s why I’ve taken the time to rigorously test and review the best chicken coop cameras on the market to guide you toward making a well-informed decision that ensures round-the-clock safety for your chickens, ease of use for you, and ultimately, peace of mind for everyone involved.
Table of Contents
- What is a Chicken Coop Camera?
- Benefits of a Chicken Coop Camera
- Reviews of the Best Chicken Coop Cameras
- Types of Chicken Coop Camera
- Factors To Consider When the Best Chicken Coop Camera
- How to Maximize Chicken Coop Cameras
- My Best Pick for the Best Chicken Coop Camera
What is a Chicken Coop Camera?
A chicken coop camera, also known as a poultry camera or coop surveillance camera, is a type of security or monitoring camera specifically designed for use in a chicken coop or poultry enclosure.
Additionally, these cameras are used by poultry farmers, backyard chicken keepers, and anyone who raises chickens to monitor and ensure the well-being and safety of their birds.
Benefits of a Chicken Coop Camera
Chicken coop cameras offer several benefits for poultry owners and can significantly improve the management and well-being of chickens. Here are some key advantages of using a chicken coop camera:
- Enhanced Security – One of the primary benefits of a chicken coop camera is security. It deters potential thieves and vandals, as the presence of a camera suggests that the coop is under surveillance. In the event of any unauthorized activity or theft, the camera can provide valuable evidence for law enforcement.
- 24/7 Monitoring – Chicken coop cameras provide round-the-clock monitoring of your chickens and their environment. This continuous surveillance ensures you can check on your flock at any time, day or night, even when you’re not physically present.
- Behavior Observation – Cameras for chicken coops enable you to observe your chickens’ behavior and interactions. This can help you understand their social dynamics, identify stressors, and ensure they get the proper care and attention
- Egg Monitoring – For those interested in egg production, you can position cameras for chicken coops to monitor nesting boxes. You can ensure timely collection and prevent eggs from being left in the coop.
- Remote Access – Many chicken coop cameras offer remote access through smartphone apps or computer interfaces. This lets you view live feeds and recorded footage from anywhere with an internet connection
- Predator Protection: Surveillance cameras can help you identify and assess potential threats from predators such as raccoons, foxes, birds of prey, and even neighborhood dogs. This enables you to take appropriate measures to protect your chickens, such as reinforcing coop security or using scare tactics.
Reviews of the Best Chicken Coop Cameras
- Best for Indoor and Outdoor – Blink Outdoor (3rd Gen)
- Best Battery-Powered Chicken Coop Camera – Bushnell Trophy Cam Trail Camera
- Best All-in-One – Ring Floodlight Cam Wired Pro
- Best Budget-Friendly Chicken Coop Camera – Wyze Cam v3
- Premium Chicken Coop Camera – Google Nest Security Cam (Wired) – 2nd Generation
- Best Wireless and Battery-Powered – ieGeek Security Cameras Wireless Outdoor
- Best Wireless Chicken Coop Camera – REOLINK 3MP Cameras for Home Security Outside
- Best Weather- Resistant Camera – Arlo Pro – Wireless Home Security Camera System with Siren
Blink Outdoor (3rd Gen)
With a simple DIY setup, this weather-resistant Blink Outdoor (3rd Gen) camera offers a remarkable two-year battery life, ensuring uninterrupted monitoring of your chickens or property.
You can customize its motion detection alerts to specific zones via the user-friendly Blink Home Monitor app, reducing unnecessary notifications. The two-way audio and live view capabilities allow you to interact with visitors or check on your chickens remotely.
It seamlessly integrates with Alexa-enabled devices, adding a layer of convenience. Plus, the option to store footage in the cloud or locally via Sync Module 2 provides flexible data storage.
Whether you’re a poultry enthusiast or a homeowner seeking reliable security, the Blink Outdoor chicken coop camera system delivers on its promise of simplicity and effectiveness.
- It offers the convenience of local storage through a USB flash drive
- Cloud storage provides secure and off-site backup for your data
- The camera supports Wi-Fi connectivity
- It features two-way audio capabilities
- The device has a durable and robust design
- An inbuilt battery ensures continuous operation even during power outages
- Its overall sturdiness contributes to its resilience against wear and tear
- While cloud storage is available, it comes at an additional cost
Bushnell Trophy Cam Trail Camera
The Bushnell Trophy Cam Trail Camera in Brown is a game-changer in chicken coop surveillance. Sporting a remarkable 16MP image resolution and 0.3-second trigger speed, this camera excels at capturing vivid photos and responding instantly to any activity around your coop.
Moreover, its low glow LED night vision flash ensures clear nighttime recordings within a 100-foot range, while the hybrid capture mode lets you choose between high-quality images and video.
The standout feature is its true 1-year battery life, with an average of 35 daytime and 35 nighttime images daily, reducing the need for constant battery changes.
Add in data stamping, Field Scan 2X, and an anti-reflection shield, and you have a powerful, discreet, and reliable coop camera. The Bushnell Trophy Cam is your trusted guardian for coop security and observation.
- The camera provides excellent image and video quality
- It is built to last and is resistant to water, dust, and extreme temperatures
- It features a wide detection range and a broad field of view
- You can customize settings such as sensitivity, interval, and resolution
- Easy setup
- Night vision feature
- You will need to replace the batteries, but only after a year of use
Ring Floodlight Cam Wired Pro
The Ring Floodlight Cam Wired Pro in White is a standout addition to your chicken coop security arsenal. This 1080p HD security camera combines essential features such as motion-activated LED floodlights, Two-Way Talk, and Audio+ with advanced innovations like 3D Motion Detection, HDR, and a powerful built-in 110 dB security siren.
What sets it apart are the upgrades, including improved noise reduction and Bird’s Eye View, which lets you monitor motion events from above in the Ring app. With Bird’s Eye Zones, you can precisely pinpoint motion for real-time alerts.
Additionally, it offers dual-band (2.4 or 5.0 GHz) wifi connectivity for a reliable connection and can be easily hardwired outside your coop for around-the-clock power and peace of mind. With a Ring Protect Plan (subscription sold separately), you can record videos, review up to 180 days of footage, and share videos and photos.
Pair it with Alexa for added convenience, enabling you to receive motion alerts on your Echo device, see a Live View with Echo Show, and even engage in Two-Way Talk by simply saying, “Alexa, talk to the front door.”
For enhanced security, Alexa can make voice announcements and show live video feed when your Ring Floodlight Cam detects a person with a Ring Protect plan (subscription sold separately).
In my testing, the Ring Floodlight Cam Wired Pro was a comprehensive and effective solution for chicken coop surveillance, offering the ideal blend of cutting-edge technology and convenience.
- This chicken coop camera eliminates the need for frequent battery changes
- It offers real-time viewing that can be easily paired with your smart devices
- The camera provides video surveillance with audio
- Unlike traditional black-and-white night vision, this camera offers colored night vision
- It can accurately detect and alert you to any movement around your coop
- It offers a bird’s eye view of your coop
- This camera comes with lifetime theft protection
- If you are not comfortable with DIY installation, you may need to hire a professional to hardwire the camera
Wyze Cam v3
In my extensive testing, it stood out for its ability to record nighttime video in full, vivid color, even in environments up to 25 times darker than what traditional cameras can handle. Its IP65 rating ensures it’s water-resistant and suitable for both outdoor placement in the rain and indoor use.
With robust motion and sound detection capabilities, the Wyze Cam v3 sends timely alerts to your phone, allowing you to stay informed about any unusual activity in or around your coop.
Also, the adjustable Motion Detection Zones offer flexibility in sensitivity settings. The two-way audio feature is a fantastic addition, enabling you to greet and communicate with visitors using clear, loud two-way audio.
Additionally, the built-in siren button serves as an effective deterrent against unwanted guests. The option for 24/7 continuous recording with a 32GB MicroSD card (sold separately) adds to its versatility, ensuring that you never miss a moment.
- The device offers excellent night vision capabilities
- It features motion detection, triggering alerts and recordings when any movement is detected
- You can access a live feed from the device on your smartphone
- To operate, this chicken coop camera must be connected to a wire
Google Nest Security Cam (Wired) – 2nd Generation
After my rigorous camera testing, I can confidently say Google Nest Security Cam is a stellar addition. With its built-in intelligence, this camera can discern between people, animals, and vehicles, sending alerts directly to the Google Home app without requiring any subscription.
Additionally, the 1080p HDR video quality, complete with night vision, provides crystal-clear footage around the clock, ensuring you never miss a moment. Plus, you get a generous 3 hours of free event video history, allowing you to review recent activity.
For those wanting extended video history, the Nest Aware subscription (sold separately) offers up to 60 days of storage. Even if your Wi-Fi connection goes down or there’s a power outage, fear not; the Nest Cam stores up to an hour of recorded events, so you can catch up on any missed activity.
- The camera provides high-definition video quality
- Its wired design ensures a constant power source
- Advanced motion detection and person alerts
- Weather-resistant construction
- It can be easily integrated with the Google Home app
- The cost is relatively high compared to other chicken coop cameras on the market
ieGeek Security Cameras Wireless Outdoor
After thorough testing, the ieGeek Security Cameras Wireless Outdoor 2-Pack proved to be a good addition to any chicken coop or home security setup.
With a straightforward installation process, 2K QHD video quality, and an exceptional AI and PIR motion detection system, these cameras deliver top-notch performance. They offer rapid response times, distinguishing between people and sending prompt alarm notifications, recording videos with audio, and activating a siren and spotlight to deter unwanted visitors.
Moreover, the IP65 waterproof rating ensures their durability in various weather conditions, and the free features in the ieGeek Cam app, along with Alexa support, enhance user experience. With dual storage options and a generous 2-year warranty, these cameras provide flexibility and peace of mind, making them an outstanding choice for coop surveillance and home security.
- The camera offers high-resolution video quality
- Its wireless and battery-powered design makes installation hassle-free
- The camera uses AI detection technology
- Designed for outdoor use, the camera is weatherproof
- It comes with a mobile app that enables remote monitoring
- The camera includes a siren and spotlight feature
- It may require regular recharging
REOLINK 3MP Cameras for Home Security Outside
During my hands-on review of the Reolink 3MP camera for my chicken coop, I was immediately struck by the convenience of its wire-free setup and impressive two-year battery life, which made maintenance almost non-existent.
The seamless integration with Alexa allowed for effortless voice-activated monitoring, and the camera’s crisp 3MP resolution and 33ft night vision ensured no detail went unnoticed, day or night. Its smart detection effectively distinguished between humans and vehicles, minimizing false alarms—a significant advantage in a busy farm setting.
Additionally, the option to use a microSD card for video storage without additional subscription fees was particularly cost-effective.
- It offers high-definition video quality, allowing for clear and detailed footage
- With an IP6 waterproof certification
- The chicken coop camera supports local storage options, such as SD cards
- It comes with WiFi support
- It offers smart features like motion detection, night vision, and two-way audio
- The inbuilt battery ensures uninterrupted operation even during power outages
- The camera’s range is limited to medium distances
Arlo Pro – Wireless Home Security Camera System with Siren
In my experience with the Arlo Pro Wireless Home Security Camera System, I found it to be an exceptional asset for monitoring my chicken coop. The complete absence of wires and the quick-to-recharge batteries made installation and upkeep a breeze.
Its weather-resistant design provided the durability needed to withstand the unpredictable outdoor conditions around the coop. The HD video quality, coupled with night vision, ensured that I could observe my chickens in crystal-clear detail at all hours.
Additionally, the two-way audio was an unexpected benefit, allowing me to listen in and communicate through the camera, which proved useful for deterring unwanted critters with the built-in siren. Integration with Alexa for voice control added a level of convenience, enabling me to operate the system hands-free.
The included cloud storage was the cherry on top, offering an easy way to review past footage without additional costs.
- The camera supports USB storage options
- It’s a wireless camera, providing easy installation and flexibility in positioning
- The chicken coop camera provides high-definition video quality
- With a built-in battery and fast charging support
- Best outdoor security camera
- The camera features two-way audio
- Free cloud storage
- While the camera offers HD video, it is limited to 720p resolution
Types of Chicken Coop Camera
Solar Powered Chicken Coop Cameras
In poultry management, solar-powered chicken coop cameras have emerged as a green and efficient surveillance option. These cameras harness the power of the sun to operate, eliminating the need for traditional electricity or battery replacements.
A small solar panel attached to the camera unit captures sunlight, converting it into electrical energy, which is then stored in an integrated battery, this is also beneficial for those cameras with rechargeable batteries.
During the day, the camera runs directly off solar power, while at night it switches to battery mode, ensuring round-the-clock operation.
This type of camera is particularly advantageous for remote coops where electrical access is limited, and its use of renewable energy makes it a popular choice for eco-conscious farmers.
Motion Detection Chicken Coop Cameras
Motion detection technology has revolutionized farm security, and when integrated into chicken coop cameras, it provides targeted surveillance by activating only when movement occurs.
This feature saves energy and storage space, as the camera records or sends alerts only when triggered by activity—be it a wandering chicken or an unwelcome predator.
Advanced models can distinguish between animal and human movement, reducing false alarms and focusing on relevant threats. Such cameras often come equipped with night vision, capturing clear footage even in low-light conditions.
This smart technology ensures that farmers are alerted to potential issues promptly, allowing for quick action to protect their flock.
Weatherproof Chicken Coop Cameras
Durability is paramount in outdoor surveillance equipment, and weatherproof chicken coop cameras are built to withstand the elements. Designed to be robust, these cameras function across various weather conditions, from searing heat to sub-zero temperatures.
Additionally, the enclosures of weatherproof cameras are typically rated by an Ingress Protection (IP) code, which indicates the level of sealing effectiveness against intrusion from foreign bodies and moisture.
High IP-rated cameras can resist dust, rain, and even water jets, making them an ideal choice for external mounting on a coop where exposure to the elements is a given.
Battery-Powered Chicken Coop Cameras
Battery-powered chicken coop cameras offer unmatched flexibility and ease of installation. These cameras can be placed anywhere around the coop without concern for proximity to power outlets.
This portability makes them suitable for temporary setups or for use in locations where power is inconsistent. While battery life can vary, many modern cameras are designed to conserve power, activating only when necessary to extend the time between charges.
For those situated in areas prone to power outages, a battery-powered camera can continue to function, providing uninterrupted surveillance.
Wired Chicken Coop Cameras
For those who prefer a traditional setup, wired chicken coop cameras provide a reliable, constant power source. These cameras are directly connected to the electrical system, ensuring continuous operation without the need to replace or recharge batteries.
Wired connections can also offer more stable data transmission, crucial for high-definition or continuous streaming footage. Installation of wired cameras is more involved, requiring proper planning to ensure cables are safely routed and protected from the elements or from being damaged by the chickens themselves.
Voice Assistant-Enabled Chicken Coop Cameras
Integrating voice assistants into chicken coop cameras marks a leap forward in convenience and accessibility. With voice-enabled technology, farmers can control their camera systems using simple voice commands through popular platforms like Alexa or Google Assistant.
This feature proves incredibly handy when multitasking or when hands are otherwise occupied. Users can command the camera to pan, tilt, or zoom to check on different parts of the coop or even integrate the cameras into a larger smart home or farm system, making management an effortlessly connected experience.
Wireless Chicken Coop Cameras
These wireless cameras provide the ultimate convenience in terms of placement and setup. They connect to your Wi-Fi network, allowing for real-time monitoring from your smartphone or computer.
Moreover, the absence of cables means your coop’s aesthetic isn’t compromised, and the installation is cleaner. Just be sure that your wireless signal is strong enough to reach your desired camera location to maintain a consistent connection.
Factors To Consider When the Best Chicken Coop Camera
When selecting the best chicken coop camera for your needs, there are several factors to consider to ensure that you get the most effective and user-friendly system for monitoring your poultry.
Video Quality and Resolution
High-definition video quality is crucial for monitoring your chickens. The higher the resolution, the clearer the images will be, which helps in identifying details like the behavior of the chickens, the presence of pests or predators, and the condition of the coop.
Look for the best chicken coop cameras that offer at least 1080p resolution. Some high-end models offer 4K resolution, which could benefit larger coops where you may need to zoom in without losing image clarity.
Night Vision Capabilities
Chickens are vulnerable to predators mainly at night, making night vision an essential feature for the best camera for chicken coop. Cameras with infrared (IR) night vision can capture clear video in complete darkness. Ensure that the camera has a good range of IR illumination, so you have a clear view of the entire coop area during the night.
Two-way audio can serve multiple purposes. It allows you to not only listen in on the coop to detect any disturbances or unusual noises but also to communicate through the camera. This can be useful for deterring potential predators with your voice or calming your chickens with familiar sounds if needed.
Motion Detection and Alerts
Motion sensor detection is an invaluable feature that can inform you of activity within your coop immediately. Look for cameras for chicken coops with customizable motion sensitivity and the ability to send real-time alerts to your smartphone or another device. This means you can be promptly notified of any disturbances, allowing you to take quick action to protect your flock.
Weatherproofing and Durability
Since chicken coops are subject to various weather conditions, the durability of your chicken coop camera is a critical consideration. A weatherproof camera with a high IP (Ingress Protection) rating can withstand rain, wind, and dust. Ensure the camera is suitable for the climate in your area, whether it faces extreme cold, heat, or moisture.
Wireless Connectivity Options
A wireless chicken coop camera can provide flexibility in placement and easier installation compared to wired models. Check the strength and reliability of your Wi-Fi network around the coop area to ensure seamless video streaming and connectivity. A stable wireless connection is vital for accessing real-time footage and receiving alerts.
Lastly, the availability and functionality of a companion app can greatly enhance the usability of your chicken coop camera. An intuitive app allows you to stream live footage, review recorded videos, receive alerts, and customize settings conveniently from your smartphone or tablet.
Ensure the app is compatible with your device’s operating system and check user reviews for insight into its performance and reliability.
How to Maximize Chicken Coop Cameras
Using chicken coop cameras effectively can greatly improve the security and management of your poultry. Here are some tips to maximize the utility of your chicken coop camera setup:
Optimal Positioning and Regular Adjustments
Carefully position your cameras to cover critical coop areas such as entrances, feeders, nesting boxes, and any blind spots. Ensure that the field of view is as wide and unobstructed as possible.
Over time, it’s wise to check the camera angles and adjust them to maintain the best view. Changes in the coop layout, growth of vegetation, or even curious chickens can alter the camera’s viewpoint.
Maintain Cleanliness of the Lenses
A dirty lens can greatly degrade the quality of your video feed. Regularly inspect and clean the camera lenses to remove dust, spider webs, and other debris. A clean lens ensures you get the sharpest image possible, which is especially important for identifying subtle issues or unauthorized activities around the coop.
Regular Footage Review
Although it might be time-consuming, regularly reviewing recorded footage can provide insights into the behavior of your flock and the efficiency of your coop management. You might spot patterns that require action, such as the timing of predators attempting to enter the coop or signs of illness in your chickens.
Smart Motion Detection Configuration
If your cameras for chicken coops have motion detection capability, configure these settings according to your needs. Most cameras allow you to set specific “activity zones” where motion is expected and areas where it should be ignored to minimize false alarms.
Also,be mindful of the sensitivity settings; too sensitive, and you may be bombarded with notifications. Too low, and you might miss critical activities.
Smart Home Integration
If you’re tech-savvy, linking your chicken coop cameras to a smart home network can simplify management. For example, connecting the cameras to your Wi-Fi network allows for remote monitoring.
Additionally, integration with voice assistants like Alexa or Google Assistant can let you control the camera system hands-free, which can be very handy when you’re in a task.
Schedule Regular Backups
Ensure that your valuable footage is not lost by setting up regular backups. Most camera systems offer cloud storage solutions, but you may also consider a local backup. Determine a schedule that suits the frequency of your recordings and check periodically to make sure backups are performing as intended.
Stay Updated with Software
Keeping the camera’s firmware and any associated apps updated is crucial. Updates often include security patches, new features, and bug fixes that can improve the performance and security of your camera system.
Power Source Management
For battery-powered or solar-powered cameras, regularly check the power levels and maintain the power sources. Ensure solar panels are clean and receive adequate sunlight, and recharge or replace batteries as necessary to keep the system running without interruption.
My Best Pick for the Best Chicken Coop Camera
The Blink Outdoor (3rd Gen) camera emerges as my top recommendation for the best chicken coop surveillance system. Its ease of installation, weatherproof durability, and extended two-year battery life make it a hassle-free, reliable choice.
All of its features, packed into a budget-friendly and robustly designed device, ensure that the Blink Outdoor camera is not only an excellent choice for poultry enthusiasts but also for anyone in need of dependable property surveillance.